Sunday, December 7, 2008

Skate for Cancer

Here is another now retired poster.
Unfortunately, I don't have the first attempt, but that's okay, you get the idea. I design and create a pretty good poster and after several attempts, I make a super poster. Or at least, I'd like to think it is pretty cool.
With this poster, we were given the text as usual, but were free to cut a font if we wished. So I created most of my text here with scissors and paper. No drawing of fonts allowed yet. We were still required to use only black and white and no imagery.
The cause is actually pretty cool too.
http://www.skate4cancer.com/

Saturday, December 6, 2008

BATTLE!

Here's the second poster that was assigned in my Visual Impact class. Let's make boxing madness!

First attempt:

Seventh and final attempt:

The requirements were:
use specific given text (you don't have to use all of the words, but you may not use outside words or symbols)
black and white
no imagery, all text
up to 3 fonts (up to 3 weights and about 2-5 sizes)woohoo! more fonts to use!
No hand drawn or cut text
all hand made (That's right, tape, scissors, white out, glue, and a photocopy machine. You print the basic text from the computer, but you do all the kerning, setting, layout, enlarging, reducing, everything... by hand)
Mostly same as before, but with the ability to use more fonts.

Oh, and I hadn't mentioned that in the beginning of the class we were given a limited number of fonts that we could use throughout the class...a total of about 15 fonts only, to choose from. We were also given the option of using fonts that were in "The Art Director's Annual", but since this is another thing to buy, I opted for getting creative with the fonts I was given.

(Sigh of relief) another poster retired.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sniggles

After about 8 weeks of doing and redoing this poster, I am finally able to retire it as you see here.
The requirements were:
use specific given text (you don't have to use all of the words, but you may not use outside words or symbols)
black and white
no imagery, all text
one font (up to 3 weights and about 2-5 sizes)
No hand drawn or cut text
all hand made (That's right, tape, scissors, white out, glue, and a photocopy machine. You print the basic text from the computer, but you do all the kerning, setting, layout, enlarging, reducing, everything... by hand)

This was the first poster in my Visual Impact class with Mike Coyne. It's gone through about 7 updates. With every update, I had to print the poster in its true 24 inch by 36 inch glory. (It's a very expensive class.)

First attempt:

Seventh and final:

You may be wondering what was wrong with the first one or how did I go from the first one to the last one. Well, after seven tries with the same poster I have acquired a very intimate relationship with Sniggles. I am at the point where I can sit here and talk about all the "nonos" in the first one:
Big circle in the middle
stuff sitting in the corners
no personality
looks llike a book cover, not a dog poster
floating island of text (we lost him.)
boring text
etc.
etc.

The final one is much more dynamic and has personality and individuality. The text and layout is interesting and the eye can move easily round the page, etc., etc.

Every week is a serious critique, with each new attempt getting drawn on, folded, chastised, and sent back to the drawing room for a better rendition. You really get good practice at looking at your work objectively, or at least building a tough skin as an artist.
Hopefully I can find the other first attempts for my future posters that I'll share the beginning and end products... but only when they get their final "yes".

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Goodwill hipster

This week in my Concepts class, we had to create campaigns for Goodwill or Salvation Army. I partnered with copywriter, Molly Maheras, and we chose Goodwill. After two weeks of brainstorming, making rough drafts, and working, we created ads and here they are.



Monday, December 1, 2008

Fun with home made ballistics gel.




So, I'm in a class where I have to construct a word and photograph it once a week. Last week's word was "liquid".
So, I decided I wanted to make the word out of clear Jell-O. Well, that doesn't exist... and it would probably fall apart if I really tried to have my way with it. So, I used the wonderful tool konwn as the internet to find a solution to my quandary and found a recipe for home made balistics gel. http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html
I went to the store and got my box o Knox, a packet o pectin, and a turkey roasting pan. I made a couple of gallons of a cross between ballistics gel and Knox blocks and ta da! Liquid.